Dandruff is one of the most off outing element which is quiet conspicuous and can be the reason for quiet an embarrassing moment. In an attempt to cure dandruff, one of the most important steps is to buy the correct kind of shampoo.
Some of the important things which should be kept in mind while buying a best anti dandruff shampoo are the various ingredients which have been used in the product, the causes of dandruff and the usage of the product- whether the product is meant for daily use, mild wash or a heavy squeaky clean rinse.
All these things must be kept in mind. However, if you really mean to deal with your dandruff problem head on what is most important is that you must keep in mind and try to access other problems in your life as well which includes the different life style choices you make, the kind of food intake you have been indulging in and most importantly, are you after spending those extra bucks on a “best anti dandruff shampoo” really buying the correct product.
Attention: If you’re a men then we recommend you reading this article rather Best Shampoos For Men.
Best Anti Dandruff Shampoos of 2018
1) Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
In this age of styling and the increasing need to use hot irons and blow drying your hair or for that matter even coloring your hair, the quality of hair is deteriorating. This leads to an itchy and dry scalp which is the preliminary stage for the onset of dandruff.
One of the leading causes for the occurrence of dandruff is a dry scalp, not cleaning/scrubbing the scalp often. However with the right kind of product all these problems and woes will be bygones.
Using this product of the trusted brand Shea Moisture will help you clear the gunk and dirt form the scalp without ripping off the natural moisture of the scalp. It surely does not leave a dry and itchy scalp rather what it leaves behind is a squeaky clean scalp.
It is more on the gentle side and is one of the products which is free of sulphate. Besides dandruff it has proven to be an effective remedy for psoriasis as well.
- This brand is trusted and uses and relies only on natural products.
- Mild shampoo which leaves the scalp squeaky clean removes the layer of gunk and dirt.
- This product does not strip away the natural oils of the scalp. Although this product is extremely effective, it does not work well for all weathers and all kinds of weather.
- Might not work well for scalps which require a rigorous and strong intensive shampoo.
- Although works well on the scalp for the first time, it might prove to be ineffective to clear up the built up and residue.
- Although this product is well versed with dealing with dry patches it also has a tendency to leave the hair feeling rather oily and makes your hair feel heavy.
2) Maple Holistics Sage Shampoo For Anti- Dandruff
All those users who pay extra heed to the ingredients which are used in the product will know that Maple Holistics is a front runner in prorogating the usage of natural ingredients when manufacturing their products. This brand is based in the US and does a good job in using safe products.
One of the best selling products of Maple Holistics has to be its Sage Shampoo. The smell is just amazing. It mostly smells like tea tree oil mixed with a bunch of other essential oils. Even though it is a sage shampoo it
Sage has numerous advantages. Besides it being used widely to deal with anti -inflammatory issues it is also used for being antiseptic and anti bacterial. This product has Panthenol which is amazing cure for dandruff. I so wish other products would also use this ingredient more often. What I feel and judging by my experience, the simple addition of the ingredient Panthenol has made the product self sufficient and so the additional use of a conditioner is not really required.
Now let me tell you more about the essential oils which this product uses-
- Jojoba Oil: Has anti- inflammatory properties
- Sage Oil: Acts as an astringent, anti- inflammatory, anti – bacterial and anti- viral properties also has mild anti fungal properties.
- Tea Tree Oil: It has been proven that this oil has anti- fungal properties and contrls itchiness and redness on the scalp.
- Rosemary Oil: this oil has been used for centuries to treat the condition of dandruff.
- Mild product and treats itchiness and redness
- Uses fairly natural ingredients
- Heavily packed with essential oils. If you one who is sensitive to fragrances, you must look elsewhere.
- If you are suffering from severe seb derm I would suggest that you look for another protect
3) ArtNaturals Therapeutic Argan Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
The changing weather and hard water, increasing pollution and many other factors contribute to a dry, itchy scalp. And if all of this was not enough, using the wrong kind of product gives more impetus to all these symptoms.
This particular product of Art Naturals soothes an itchy scalp, scaling, flaking and the build up and gunk which is often not cleaned well. It also helps in removing psoriasis from the scalp.
Some of the ingredients which include tar and coal have been consistently relied upon and used to cure a range of skin and scalp issues. Other ingredients include some of the well known essential oils like argan oil and jojoba oil. These two essential oils have both healing properties and deep conditioning features which help to cure the scalp as well as hydrate the scalp which will prevent the scalp to undergo itchiness, dryness or redness.
All the users who are a little vigilant about the kind of products they should be pleased to know that this product and this brand is absolutely cruelty free.
- Contains 2% Coal tar which helps to curb serious problems like eczema, psoriasis and seborrhea dermatitis.
- Works well on a dry scalp and is heavily infused with deeply conditioning essential oils like Argan oil and Jojoba Oil.
- It also includes other essential oils like Lemon Oil, Rosemary Oil, Cypress oil and Basil oil. These oils tend to have anti inflammatory, anti fungal development properties which makes the product even more conducive for usage.
- This may not work well on scalps which tend to react to essential oils.
4) T/ Gel Therapeutic Shampoo-Original Formula
This product continues with its magic even after it has been used under the shower. This product has a long lasting effect on the hair. I do not mean that it stays on your scalp and you are not able to wash it away properly. Rather what I am saying is that the good cleaning effect of this product lasts for a long time.
Its key contents include tar. Coal Tar makes only 0.5% of the product but it is extremely effective and is highly recommended by dermatologists when you are facing some serious hair scalp issues which include chronic scalp psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis and even the common dandruff.
Although the product formula is extremely effective what makes it a good product is that it is not particularly harsh on the scalp. It is a rather mild yet extremely effective product which does not strip off the natural oils from your scalp. It also works well on all kinds of hair- be it dry, flaky, normal or oily.
This product is a fragrance medicated shampoo which also leaves your hair manageable if you have fizzy unkempt hair. However it is recommended that you should not apply this product on broken or inflamed skin as this might lead to irritation.
One of the key ingredients that are coal tar has some properties of photo sensing action and might lead to irritation or acne when exposed to the sun.
- Has Neutar Solubilised Coal Tar Extract as one of the key contents which helps to reduce and fight most of the scalp problems.
- This product does not work well on colored or treated hair. In most cases, discoloration occurs on blonde, bleached or tinted hair.
5) Paul Mitchell – Special Tea Tree Shampoo
It is no secret that Tea Tree Oil has numerous benefits when applied on the body. Be it treating your face with acne or fighting itchiness, tea tree oil comes packed with a number of medicinal properties.
When all of this goodness is packaged in order to help curb dandruff and a trusted brand takes this initiative, it is no surprise that the end result will be laudable.
Paul Mitchell is an American company which focuses on hair and styling products. It does not make false promises of increasing growth of hair. What it does is fight dandruff and the related scalp issues effectively.
It leaves the hair full of luster and vitality and leaves the hair squeaky clean. One of the prominent reasons for dandruff growth on the hair is a dirty scalp which is not taken care of. It is ideal for all hair types and does not lead to discoloration on blonde, bleached or tinted hair.
The tingling after effect of peppermint, lavender and tea tree oil gives the scalp the vitality and shine and does not leave the scalp dry and frizzy. This product lathers up pretty well too for all those users who feel that if the product lathers up that is the only way to clean the scalp.
Although the formula of this shampoo is mild, it does clean the scalp invigoratingly clean and also does not leave the scalp dry and flaky.
- Cleans the scalp thoroughly
- Improves the health of the hair
- Lathers up well and is a mild formula
- Adds shine
- Invigorating cleanser
- Although this product includes essential oils, it does not use natural product, so for all the users who want to use a product which has natural ingredients; this is not the right product for you.
6) Aveda- Balancing Shampoo: Scalp Benefits
If you are looking for a nourishing shampoo which is packaged with some of the very effective herbs which have been used since centuries to give a boost to the health of the hair, Aveda Balancing Shampoo: Scalp Benefits is the right product which fits in the description the best.
Aveda as a company focuses on using natural ingredients and mostly employing the science of pure flower and plant essence. It makes products which not only cleanses but nourishes the scalp as well. This balance between cleansing and nourishing is exemplified in this product.
For all those users who are particular about the products they use, Aveda not only uses natural products, it is also a brand which is cruelty free. It works equally well on all hair types and vouches to give a boost to the health of the scalp.
It gently cleanses the hair with its natural blend of burdook root, sage and Echinacea which help to ward off all the major hair problems. This product is also infused with fine smelling essential oils which include rosemary, cinnamon and some other pure flower and plant essences which make this product extremely fine smelling.
Dandruff grows due to build up gunk and dirt which never gets cleaned. This formula works towards providing an extremely clean scalp and removes the excess sebum and build up. After using this product, you will definitely notice a healthier scalp and hair condition.
- Cleans the hair right from the roots.
- It is cleaning agent and promotes a healthy scalp
- It vouches to remove the build up and gunk
- Helps to nourish and cure the dry, flaky and itchy scalp.
- It provides a healthy foundation for healthy hair.
- Cleans all types of hair- be it curly, fizzy, straight hair air deep down to the root.
- It might be reactive to certain scalps for the strong ingredients it uses.
7) Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This product is not made out of natural products. Even though this may be seen as a drawback by many, this product and the formula used in this is highly effective. This product lathers up well and is thick. It is nourishing and at the same time it is effective.
One of the key and strong ingredients which are Ketoconazole makes up1% of the product. This particular ingredient is known to control flaking, scaling, and itching. It has been to fight dandruff outbreaks effectively. This product is substantiated with salon like gentleness.
It is relatively a gentle and smooth formula which works equally well on all sorts of hair types. Be it color treated, chemically treated, gray hair, it will not disappoint you. The shampoo does not have an overpowering smell neither does it use a lot of essential oil, but it still leaves the scalp smelling fresh.
Nizoral Anti- Dandruff Shampoo dives right to the root cause which leads to dandruff. Since dandruff is caused by fungus, the product has one key ingredient called Ketoconazole which binds with the natural protein of the hair. It keeps the nasty dandruff in check so that you don’t need to keep checking your shoulders for them.
Using this shampoo twice in a week will be sufficient to keep away all the dandruff. However you must do a patch test before using this product and it is recommended that you go visit a doctor before you use this product. Due to the ingredients which make up this product, it might react with your scalp or could also become a leading cause for acnes on your scalp.
- One of its key ingredients ketoconazole is the magic ingredient which helps to dramatically reduce the dandruff on your scalp.
- It could prove to be highly reactive to the scalp.
- Does not use natural products and employs mostly chemicals.
8) Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo From The Body Shop
This product has been infused with all natural ingredients which have been used for many years to treat scalp problems. One of the key ingredients as the name suggests is ginger. This ginger is specifically imported from Sri Lanka. In addition to ginger, some of the other ingredients are birch bark, white willow extracts and Community Trade honey.
This anti dandruff shampoo works towards gently clearing loose flakes and soothing the scalp. This formula is specifically meant to treat dry and flaky scalps and has been one of the best selling products. The product claims to have been using the best quality honey which is imported from all the way from Ethiopia.
It leaves the hair very smooth after application. Some of te good feedback and qualities of the ingredients that are used in this product are mentioned below:
- Organic Honey: it not only moisturizes the scalp but it also claims that it seems to be providing a stable livelihood for the beekeepers most of whom are women. This brand vouches to provide a responsible consumer and worker relationship.
- Panthenol-Is proven to improve flexibility of the nails, helping to reduce flaking and breakage.
- Treats dry, flaky scalps
- The product is the best selling shampoo
- It is a travel friendly product and can be carried along due to the size of the bottle.
- Key ingredients of the product are ginger from Sri Lanka and Community Trade Honey from Ethiopia.
- The product is known and tested to be 100% vegetarian.
- Not tested on any sorts of animals
- The product is not infused by many essential oils so it might not leave an overly pleasant smell. Well if smell is not the problem you can definitely go in for this product.